Jan 14 , 2014
HOW TO STAY HYDRATED:
The most important thing we can tell you about is how to stay hydrated: Don't wait until you feel thirsty because by then you're already dehydrated. Hotter temperatures and increased levels of activity call for increased intake of fluids.
HERE ARE A FEW OTHER TIPS TO FOLLOW:
- Set your watch to beep every 15 to 30 minutes to remind you to take in gels or liquids that can be quickly converted to energy. This will help maintain energy levels and help keep you from hitting that proverbial "wall".
- The body loses 64-96 ounces of water per hour during high intensity activities (hiking, skiing, running, cycling, and showshoeing). To stay hydrated, athletes should use Ultimate Direction activity-specific hydration products to drink at least 8 ounces of water every 15-20 minutes.
- Constant hydration keeps a person in the peak operational zone and reduces the involuntary wear and tear of exercise under stress. As a result they race and train, recover faster and are more comfortable. Our packs category offers several packs to meet the needs of intense training sessions.
HYDRATION GUIDELINES FOR EXERCISE LASTING LESS THAN ONE HOUR:
- Drink adequate fluids throughout the day, and consume approximately 16 ounces of water during the 2 hours prior to exercise.
- Fluids should be kept at a cool temperature (between 59° & 72° F). That's why Ultimate Direction offers an insulated reservoir pocket to keep liquids cool.
- Use a hydration system, such as an Ultimate Direction sports bottle, or reservoir that allows one to drink easily while exercising.
- Consume approximately 16 ounces of water for every pound lost during exercise (acute shifts in body weight during exercise indicate fluid loss).
- It is the position of the American College of Sports Medicine that adequate fluid replacement helps maintain hydration and, therefore, promotes the health, safety, and optimal physical performance of individuals participating in regular physical activity.
WE RECOMMEND THE FOLLOWING AMOUNT OF FLUID BASED UPON THE DURATION OF YOUR ACTIVITY:
- 20-32 oz. of water for 0-1 hour
- 20-56 oz. of water for 1-2 hours
- 40-48 oz. of water for 2-3 hours
- 64-98 oz. of water for 3-4 hours
- 128 oz. of water for 4+ hours