Oct 28 , 2014
Basic Description: New, with some incredible added features is KUIU’s ICON PRO 7200 pack system. After listening to their vast network of outfitters/guides and extreme mountain hunters KUIU designed their ICON PRO SERIES to be extremely durable, tough and capable of carrying very heavy weight loads. The revised carbon fiber frame is stiffer, stronger and functions in unison with a new design in the Icon Pro’s suspension system whose focus is centered upon the creation of a comfortable backpack for those who may carry heavy loads. This Expedition Grade, complete backpack system features a well-designed internal and external pocketing system that allows you to organize your gear efficiently and more securely for ultimate comfort and organization. The PRO’S full horseshoe zipper allows total access to the main pack compartment, interior pockets and hydration system. Hunters, guides and hard-core mountaineers will find that the large exterior front and side pockets are perfect for carrying optics or other critical gear that requires immediate access. KUIU’s new system of internal lashing points and included removable straps allow you better interior organization. Very importantly, this lashing system make it easier to carry heavy internal loads high and closer to your back where they should be. Weighing in at 5 lbs. 10 oz. the ICON PRO is very light for a pack designed for “guide demanded” durability with the “beefed’ up strength to carry heavy loads. The ICON PRO’S new suspension and adjustable lumbar padding are perfect. Designed with the finest materials available, including Toray carbon fiber, 500 Denier CORDURA® Rip-Stop, YKK Zippers, and Duraflex® hardware, the PRO will stand up to the toughest mountain hunting conditions. Featuring a newly designed, larger hip belt structure the ICON PRO has raised the bar for comfort when you are packing carrying heavy loads. The new removable side-of-hip-belt webbing system provides you with the option of utilizing your hip belt without any side straps, and importantly allows you to attach important accessories such as a gun, bear spray, or a rangefinder. The ICON PRO can be adjusted to fit all sizes and body types and the adjustable track system can be adjusted quickly to provide you with a perfect fit. This external frame hunting or expedition pack features a modular system that when interchanged takes only a few minutes to go from one sized bag to another. Included in KUIU’s 2014 line are the 1850, 5200 & 7200 cubic inch bags. KUIU’s ongoing microscopic focus on excellence has made this pack system extremely functional and versatile in offering optimum weight distribution. The PRO’S comfort and organization for storage are unparalleled. The design and structure of this pack is perhaps the creation of the finest hunting backpack for its price on the market today and that’s a huge compliment considering the competitive, technological market for backpacks today. Facts and Features: KUIU’s ICON PRO 7200 was designed to take ultra light Mountain Hunting to another level for guides and hunters in unforgiving terrain. Built for durability, strength and toughness the PRO’S advanced design, with its new 2014 Carbon Fiber Frame and suspension system, creates a comfortable, lightweight pack that enables hunters and mountaineers to carry heavy loads into the back country and will stand up to the harshest treatment. This pack is big enough to keep you out on the mountain for extended periods of time. The ICON PRO Series packs are made with Toray Carbon Fiber, 500 Denier CORDURA Brand Rip-Stop fabric, YKK Zippers and Duraflex Hardware. The ICON PRO is lightweight, but durable enough to stand up against the abuse that guides are well known for after spending days in the field. Hunting guides and extreme mountaineers demand backpack gear that is lightweight, yet strong and tough as nails. The ICON PRO 7200 features additional changes with its dual density foam padding in the shoulder pads, increased hip belt size and adjustable molded lumbar pads for comfort. These features are truly cutting edge and innovative. Please review the following detailed features to comprehend just how well the ICON PRO has been designed: TECHNICAL FEATURES • 49.2 ounces (bag only) • 5 lbs. 10 oz. (full kit) • 7200 cubic inches (volume) • Water Repellant 2x PU coated CORDURA® ripstop fabric • Modular System – All ICON Pro Bags and Frame & Suspension are Interchangeable • Load sling between bag & frame for 2500 ci of added carrying capacity • Load Use Tested to 150 lbs. SIZING •VOLUME: 7200 cubic inches • FULL KIT: Assembled Bag, Frame & Suspension • Frame (torso length): Regular 15” – 17” Tall 17.5” – 22” • Hip Belt (waist size): S/M 28” – 33” L/XL 33” – 44” INGREDIENTS • 500 Denier 100% Nylon CORDURA® Brand Ripstop • YKK Zippers • Duraflex Buckles • Doppio Futura Spacer Mesh • Toray Carbon Fiber FRAME & SUSPENSION • Molded Carbon Fiber Frame • Vertical Stiffness & Horizontal Flex • Built in T-Lock Track System for easy torso length adjustment • Full webbing reinforcement on shoulder straps to eliminate stretch • Dual density foam padding • Adjustable sternum strap • Adjustable molded foam lumbar pad with 2 levels of thickness adjustment • Increased belt size distributes weight over a large area • Internal plastic sheet behind lumbar pad for additional structural support • Power pulls for easy waist belt tightening • Pivoting Hip Belt • Frame – available in 2 sizes, regular and tall.
- Regular fits torso length of 15” – 17”
- Tall fits torso length of 17.5” – 22”
- Hip Belt – available in 2 sizes, S/M and L/XL.
- S/M fits waist size of 28” – 33”
- L/XL fits waist size 33” – 44”
- Loading, Capacity and Organization– Loading, capacity and organization are very important features that I love about the ICON PRO. How many backpacks can be loaded from the front, side, or top? This feature in the PRO is extremely important to me. The main compartment/panel of this pack system can be easily accessed or loaded by unzipping the dual direction zippers on the front of the pack to expose the entire compartment. It has been simple and efficient for me to load and organize my gear according to weight, size, and bulk.
- Load Sling - Wow, what a great, ingenious, innovative feature! Jason and his industrial design team built the Icon suspension so that you could easily prepare the pack for what KUIU refers to as “load sling use.” By simply disengaging the load lifter strap and compression straps from the pack bag, I can open the lower frame stay pockets and engage the ICON PRO pack system into load sling mode if I ever need to. This allows me additional space to carry a boned out ram with no problem in the extra load sling space between the frame and bag when necessary. This clever architecture is ingenious. I now don’t have to worry about stuffing a hunter’s boned out animal or cape into the main compartment of my bag with all my other gear! Great job guys! Super feature. The load sling can also be used for your tent or other gear if necessary.
- Carbon Fiber Frame/Suspension– When I’m out on the mountain every single pound, every ounce counts when having to pack the weight on your back. Remember, the lighter your load, the more mobility and flexibility you have to climb mountains in pursuit of trophy rams, bucks or bulls. With that said, KUIU’s 5 lb.10 ounce total package in the ICON PRO is incredible. It’s lighter in weight than other frames and bags but much stronger. In fact, Carbon Fiber is twice as strong as steel and half the weight of aluminum. At no time when I was packing extremely heavy loads has my newly redesigned ICON PRO Carbon Fiber suspension felt like it wouldn’t support the load. Engineered with increased vertical stiffness for heavier loads and horizontal flexion this frame literally moves with the hunter or backpacker to maximize comfort and mobility. The Carbon Fiber frame is arched so that it provides me with the critical ventilation I need to not overheat in the hot, dry air of the desert. KUIU’s inset waist belt pivot and independent shoulder pad adjustment provided a very comfortable fit. Talk about taking the bar to another level.
- Large, angled bottom pockets with drawstrings that can be tightened or loosened.
- Reverse coil YKK zippers with custom pulls that allow you to open the pack and outside pockets from different directions. For instance, on the vertical outside pockets, I can pull the zippers in two different directions so that my tripod can extend through the opening created at the top and bottom of the pocket. This allows me to remove my tripod or other needed gear more quickly. Excellent feature.
- Waist belt pockets that allow instant access to items such as your headlamp without having to take the pack off of your back.
- Web keepers on the straps keep loose ends from dangling.
- Multiple direction compression straps that can be tightened on the sides and on the front of the backpack’s main panel. This allows better compression of your gear.
- Hydration shoulder strap holder.
- The large center pocket on the pack is very handy for my spotting scope.
- The occipital cavity created with by the Carbon Fiber suspension gives you head space to look around when hunting in steep mountainous terrain. With other backpacks I’ve found that the top lid uncomfortably pushes my head forward.
- The waist belt has a dual pull tightening system that allows me to adjust the waist belt uniformly around my waist. On other backpacks that I have used I’m forced to tighten each strap separately.
- The shoulder harness straps can be adjusted vertically with a sliding track system and Velcro on the straps to easily fit the size of your torso. These straps are actually a pleasure instead of a chore to adjust!
- Adjustable sternum strap.
- The backpack frame handle is well sewn and designed to lift the heavy load of your pack without tearing the material. When you have 100 lbs in your backpack you don’t want to have to lift it by the shoulder straps.
- The Tri-Glides, buckles, tension locks and hip belt clips will take all the abuse you can give them without breaking down in the field.
- The reinforced 500 RIPSTOP CORDURA Denier on this pack has made a huge difference in overall strength and durability.
- The Doppio Futura stretch mesh on the elongated hydration pockets and all other internal pockets is amazing. I thought this material might be easy to tear but it expands to provide enough room to even store a one-man tent in the panel.
- The 4 extra internal lashing straps are well designed to secure heavier items/loads in the middle of the your pack against your back.